The 19th century
USS CONSTITUTION is a heavy frigate of the United States Navy, named by President George Washington after the Constitution of the USA. She was built in Massachusetts, and launched in 1797. Her first duties with the newly formed U.S Navy were to provide protection for American merchant shipping during the Quasi-War with France and to defeat the Barbary pirates.
Constitution is most famous for her actions during the War of 1812 against the UK, when she captured numerous merchant ships and defeated five British warships. It earned her the nickname of “Old Ironsides” and public adoration that has repeatedly saved her from scrapping. During the American Civil War, she served as a training ship for the U.S Naval Academy.
Retired from active service in 1881, she served as a receiving ship until designated a museum ship in 1907.
Highlights about the USS Contitution model ship:
- This model ship is entirely handmade by skilled and experienced craftsmen, using the plank on frame construction method
- No kits are use
- Anchors, guns, decorations, and other intricate details sculpted of metal
- Meticulously sewn sails, keep the sails from wrinkle
- Use high-quality wood such as rosewood, ebony, black wood, mahogany wood…., timbers are after process step of pre-construction.
- The USS Contitution model ship is built on scale by the original plan, then drawn up and painted by actual photographs to ensure the best accuracy.