The 20th century
The FRANCE II was built in 1911 in Bordeaux to the plans of chief designer Gustave Leverne. She was the second largest commercial merchant sailing ship ever built.
In 1915 she was sold to Leroux-Henzey of Rouen and sold again in 1916 to the French Company of Marine and Trade also of Rouen, her port of registry remained the same.
In 1944, American bombers bombed the wreckage for target practice.
In 1995 planning started to raise funds to design and build a replica of the France II but by 2010 very little progress had been made. However, tall ship cruise line “Star Clippers” has since announced they are in the process of building a new ship based on the “France II” for launch in the second half of 2017.
Highlights about this France II model ship:
- This model ship is entirely handmade by skilled and experienced craftsmen, using the plank on frame construction method
- No kits are used
- Anchors, guns, decorations, and other intricate details sculpted of metal
- Meticulously sewn sails, keep the sails from wrinkle
- Use high-quality wood such as rosewood, ebony, black wood, mahogany wood…., timbers are after process step of pre-construction.
- The France II model ships are built on scale by the original plan, then drawn up and painted by actual photographs to ensure the best accuracy.
There are no reviews yet.